Starting Fall 2017, the AUA Acopian Center for the Environment in conjunction with the AUA College of Science and Engineering are offering a minor in Environmental Studies available to all AUA undergraduate students.
The Environmental Studies minor will enable undergraduate students to take a minimum number of environmental courses, allowing them the opportunity to develop deeper knowledge and skills in environmental conservation, restoration, engineering, and governance.
All minors at AUA are documented on a student’s transcript but will not appear on the diploma.
REQUIREMENTS TO COMPLETE ENVIRONMENTAL STUDIES MINOR
To receive the Minor in Environmental Studies, a student must meet the following requirements:
- Satisfactory completion of 18 credits of approved courses from the list below.
- Satisfactory completion of the 3 core courses of the minor:
- ENV 101 Introduction to Environmental Sciences,
- ENV 202 Environmental Projects, and
- ENV 203 Environmental Monitoring.
- Satisfactory completion of 3 elective courses chosen from the list of approved courses below.
- A minimum of six credits must be at the upper-level (i.e., ENV courses in the 200-299 range).
- Students declare a minor through the Registrar’s Office when applying for graduation.
- No more than 3 credits from the student’s bachelor’s program can be counted toward the minor.
- No more than 9 credits from the student’s General Education requirements can be counted towards the minor.
- At least 50% of courses counted within the minor must be taken at AUA.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
For more information contact the AUA Acopian Center for the Environment or your academic advisor.
LIST OF APPROVED COURSES FOR THE ENVIRONMENTAL STUDIES MINOR
The following courses are currently approved for the Environmental Studies minor for undergraduate students at AUA. Click on specific courses below to read the detailed course description.
|COURSE NUMBER AND TITLE*|
|ENV 101: Introduction to Environmental Sciences|
|ENV 202: Environmental Projects|
|ENV 203: Environmental Monitoring|
|ENV 120: Food|
|ENV 140: Solid and Hazardous Waste|
|ENV 170: Chemistry in Everyday Life|
|ENV 210: Disasters|
|ENV 211: Sustainable Cities|
|ENV 212: Mining|
|ENV 215: Urban Environmental Mapping – Field Applications of Sensing and Visualization Tools|
|ENV 230: Water|
|ENV 250: Biodiversity: Conservation and Restoration|
|ENV 251: Forests|
|CSE 145: Geographic Information Systems**|
|CSE 2xx: Numbers, Statistics, and the Environment **|
(*) Unless noted otherwise, courses are 3 semester credits
(**) These courses are not ENV courses but could satisfy the elective requirements of the Environmental Studies Minor at AUA.