Project Name: ILIAD – Digital twin of the oceans
Project Time Period: February, 2022 – January 2025
Project Partners: please see the link
Funding: This project has received funding from the European Commission’s Horizon 2020 Research and Innovation programme under grant agreement No 101037643.
Iliad builds on the assets resulting from two decades of investments in policies and infrastructures for the blue economy and aims at establishing an interoperable, data-intensive, and cost-effective Digital Twin of the Ocean (DTO). It capitalizes on the explosion of new data provided by many different earth sources, advanced computing infrastructures (cloud computing, HPC, Internet of Things, Big Data, social networking, and more) in an inclusive, virtual/augmented, and engaging fashion to address all Earth Data challenges.
The enabling technology of the Iliad DTO will contribute to the implementation of the EU’s Green Deal and Digital Strategy and to the achievement of the UN Ocean Decade’s outcomes and Sustainable Development Goals. To realize its potential, Iliad DTO will follow the System of Systems approach, integrating all existing EU Earth Observing and Modeling Digital Infrastructures and Facilities to promote additional applications through Iliad DTO, the partners will create the Iliad Marketplace. The combination of geo visualization, immersive visualization and virtual or augmented reality allows users to explore, synthesize, present, and analyze the underlying geospatial data in an interactive manner. Like an app store, providers will use the Iliad Marketplace to distribute apps, plug-ins, interfaces, raw data, citizen science data, synthesized information, and value-adding services derived from the Iliad DTO.
The project consists of the following work packages:
- Co-designing the Digital twin of the Oceans
- Data Acquisition from Pilots/Collection of Existing Databases
- Citizen Engagement & integration of data from citizen science
- Iliad DTO – Ocean Interoperability Data Space
- DTO Modeling and Analytics services
- User XP and UI Design, Dashboard and Immersive Visualization
- Demonstration and impact assessment of Iliad pilots
- Policy Impact Facility
- Technology Transfer and Business Development
- Stakeholder Engagement and Capacity Building
- Outreach, Communication and Dissemination
- Project Management
- Ethics Requirements