Guidelines for Transitional Landfills in Armenia
Project time period:
April 2020 – January 2021
The American University of Armenia (AUA) Acopian Center for the Environment in partnership with the Government of Armenia has implemented the project on developing Guidelines for Transitional Landfills in Armenia. The project was funded by the AUA Manoogian Simone Foundation (MSF).
The project pursued the following goals:
– Improving the management of waste dumps
– Having minimum standards for new controlled landfills that may be needed to be built if existing dumpsites are closed but new sanitary landfills are not available
– Meeting the Comprehensive and Enhanced Partnership Agreement (CEPA) obligations on waste management
– Identifying national waste facility improvement activities and investment opportunities to be further studies with regard to feasibility
– Ensuring the alignment and harmonization between guidelines and waste classification framework delivered by this project with the Local Waste Management Planning Guidelines to be developed by RA MTAI outside the scope of this project.
The Armenian government’s reform agenda is aimed at achieving EU-approximation within the framework of the EU-Armenia Comprehensive and Enhanced Partnership Agreement (CEPA) and to contribute to Armenia’s commitment to the Sustainability Goals (SDGs) within the Agenda 2030.
This research has been implemented through the financial support of the Manoogian Simone Research Found (MSRF) in cooperation with AUA and the Armenian Government. The views and opinions expressed in this research are those of the authors’ only and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of any of the other parties.
Harutyun Alpetyan, Principle Investigator
AUA Acopian Center for the Environment
Email: alpetyan[at]aua.am, ace[at]aua.am
Phone: +374 60 612 693
1) International practice research on landfill management
2) RA legislative framework assessment (regarding landfill management)
3) Multi-stakeholder engagement
4) Development of Guidelines for Transitional Landfills in Armenia
AUA Manoogian Simone Foundation