The American University of Armenia (AUA) Acopian Center for the Environment in partnership with the Government of Armenia has launched the project on Guidelines for Transitional Landfills in Armenia, funded by the AUA Manoogian Simone Foundation (MSF).
The project will pursue the following goals:
- Improving the management of waste dumps in use today
- Having minimum standards for new controlled landfills that may be needed to be built if existing dumpsites are closed but new sanitary landfills are not available
- Meeting the Comprehensive and Enhanced Partnership Agreement (CEPA) obligations on waste management
- Identifying national waste facility improvement activities and investment opportunities to be further studies with regard to feasibility
- Ensuring the alignment and harmonization between guidelines and waste classification framework delivered by this project with the Local Waste Management Planning Guidelines to be developed by RA MTAI outside the scope of this project.
The Armenian government’s reform agenda is aimed at achieving EU-approximation within the framework of the EU-Armenia Comprehensive and Enhanced Partnership Agreement (CEPA) and to contribute to Armenia’s commitment to the Sustainability Goals (SDGs) within the Agenda 2030.
- International practice research (regarding landfill management)
- RA legislative framework assessment (regarding landfill management)
- Multi-stakeholder engagement
- Development of Guidelines for Transitional Landfills in Armenia
April 2020 – January 2021
Harutyun Alpetyan, Principle Investigator
AUA Acopian Center for the Environment
Phone: +374 60 612 693