The Heinrich Böll Foundation in cooperation with the American University of Armenia (AUA) Acopian Center for the Environment are organizing the 2017 Sustainable Energy Academy. The aim of Academy 2017 is to build on the Academy’s activities in the prior year and continue to build a community of students and professionals in Armenia who will be equipped to promote and implement sustainable energy solutions at building, district, community, and national levels. The efforts of the Academy and its participants and alumni are expected to inform national and local policy discussions on sustainable energy.
Academy 2017’s objective is to engage it’s participants with more frequency, enhancing their specialized knowledge as well as creating a knowledge and professional network. All of these are deemed essential to facilitating the promotion and adoption of sustainable energy solutions throughout the different regions of Armenia.
Sustainable Energy Academy 2017 will organize workshops tailored for the following groups:
- National policymakers
- Public officials and technocrats who have to implement and inspect sustainable energy solutions
- Vendors of sustainable energy solutions
- University students and young professionals (including architects, engineers, MBAs, urban planners, and political scientists).
Academy 2017 activities
Regional Workshops and Expos
Academy 2017 will involve several frequent events and activities, some of the included events are:
Three regional workshops and expositions (Exact time and location will be announced at a later time).
Regional Workshop and Expo 1: Northern Region – Location: Vanadzor
Regional Workshop and Expo 2: Southern Region – Location: Kapan
Regional Workshop and Expo 3: Central Region – Location: Ararat
These workshops will consist of separate, parallel sessions, each designed for the different target groups. The workshop sessions will be one-day long (8 hours, with breaks). As for the “Sustainable Energy Expo”, this will be held in parallel for members of the wider community as well as workshop participants during their breaks. During the Expo, producers and sellers of products and solutions that are relevant to sustainable energy and are readily available in the Armenian market will be invited to participate. These products would include thermal insulation solutions, heating solutions, lighting, renewable energy solutions, energy efficient windows and doors.
Participants in the regional workshops will be invited to take part in activities and developing initiatives that will extend beyond the workshop and would require continual engagement with the Academy. The activities would include:
- Identifying and developing local or regional initiatives that can accelerate adoption of sustainable and distributed energy solutions.
- The vendors will be tasked with keeping track of their sales on energy efficiency and renewable solutions/products.
- University students will be invited to organize roundtable discussions or debates at their universities on issues relevant to sustainable energy
The results of these activities would be presented at the wrap-up event by the Academy participants.
Sustainable Energy Academy 2017 Wrap-Up event:
The Sustainable Energy Academy 2017 will culminate in a final wrap-up event which will be held at AUA.
- The activity participants will present the results of their activities.
- Select initiatives will be presented through a brief talk and discussion, focusing on learning from it.
- Certificates of Completion will be handed out to all participants completing the requirements of the Academy.